1. Get Started With Hydroponics – If you have always wanted to try your hand at growing plants hydroponically (without dirt) this is a great starter project!
2. Rain Barrels – There are hundreds of different ways to configure rain barrels. These look nice and tidy!
3. Garden Barrel – These sell for hundreds of dollars, but why buy one when you can make one for about $30 (US) and an hour of your time.
4. Food Locker / Root Cellar – Store food in a plastic barrel root cellar. What a great idea to keep your food safe from critters and the prying eyes.
10. Airtight Storage – For this, the barrels with the clamp-on lid makes the most sense. The barrels are big and bulky, but they can be stacked 4 or 5 high (depending on the weight of the stuff inside) and sometimes, a barrel is the only good choice for what you need to store.
11. Backyard Biodigester – Make your own cooking or heating fuel (methane) from compost.
If you don’t have a source for large plastic drums, get onto your local Craigslist.com. Somebody out there has a yard full of these and they’re just waiting for your call.